Information for #heweb18 poster presenters
- HighEdWeb Program Chair: Lori Packer
- Poster Track Chair: Lisa Catto
Poster session schedule
The HighEdWeb 2018 Poster Session will take place Monday, October 22.
Poster session definition
Similar to an exhibit hall, a poster session gives you the opportunity to share a project, application, service, or tool simultaneously with other presenters. This will be great for one-on-one contact with other HighEdWeb participants.
What you should bring with you
- Your own laptop (if needed… recommended to demo your work)
- Display materials to attach to your board
- Business cards
What HighEdWeb will provide for you
- Wireless connectivity
- Signage: presentation title and presenter name/institution/title
- Tri-fold presentation board (the typical OfficeMax or Office Depot fare; usually 36×48″ in size)
- Adhesives (tape, glue stick), markers, pens on board in the conference office should you need them.
Teh conference office will be available for poster presenters to assemble their posters if needed, and to drop off their finished posters when they are ready to go. Posters must be dropped off before 10 a.m. on Monday, October 22.
Some suggestions for an effective presentation:
- Presenting at a poster session is like hosting an “open house”: Your audience will be stopping by and departing your table throughout the session. Rather than making a prepared presentation, do a site demonstration, host a conversation. Keep it short and ask your audience whether they have any questions.
- Be prepared for the unexpected: Because poster sessions are so personal, each person who views your site demo may have unique questions. Let viewer interest direct the flow of your comments.
- Have fun! Presenting posters is a great way to talk to others on a topic about which you know a great deal. Not only will you share your knowledge, but people visiting your poster will also share their knowledge with you.
General information on preparing posters is available via NERCOMP’s (North East Regional Computing Program) poster session description and tips.