The Nominating Committee supports the Board of Directors in fulfilling its fiduciary duties to appoint the best-qualified candidates for the Board of Directors. The committee recruits, reviews, nominates and recommends candidates for election to the Board or to fill vacancies on the Board.
The committee has no expressed or implied power or authority.
- The committee must have 4-6 members, including a chair. The majority of members must be Directors.
- The chair must be a Director.
- Directors and professional members are eligible to serve on the committee, except for the president.
- The Board shall elect the members and chair of the committee at its January meeting.
- The operations director shall serve as staff to the committee.
- All committee members must complete implicit bias training within 30 days of their election.
- Members of the nominating committee are not eligible to become nominees themselves.
- The board elects the chair and members each January for a one-year term.
- Aaron Knight, chair
- Sara Clark, operations director
- Waylon Baumgardner
- Joshua Charles
- Janice Cheng-McConnell
- Kerri Hicks
- Jackie Vetrano
- Ensure Board composition reflects factors that affect the Association’s sustainability and mission effectiveness, including diversity and inclusion.
- Oversee the marketing and communications for the nominations process, including the call for nominations.
- Follow the Association Bylaws and complete duties in a timely fashion that enables director election at the May or June regular Board meeting.
- Seek direction from the Board at its January meeting on the number of seats to be filled and the needed Director qualifications and characteristics.
- Open and promote the call for nominations.
- Actively recruit and nominate candidates, including targeted outreach to diverse institutions, communities and candidates.
- Vet and interview all candidates to ensure that they have the proper competencies, experience and willingness to fulfill their duties and responsibilities as Directors.
- Send a report to the Board secretary for presentation at the May meeting. The report should include:
- A brief summary of the committee’s process and membership
- Names and brief biographies of the nominees the committee recommends for election
- The chair shall formally present the report at a regular Board meeting. The nominees are formally added to the ballot without further Board action. The Board uses ballot voting to elect the directors.
In the event of the resignation or removal of a Director before term completion
- Make a recommendation to the Board, within two Board meetings from the resignation, on whether to fill the vacated seat prior to the standard nominations cycle.
- Recommend candidates to fill vacancies as a result of the resignation or removal of a Director.
- Maintains minutes of all meetings.
- Reviews this charter annually and recommends changes to the board of directors.
- Follows association policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains documentation about committee roles and procedures, including how this committee collaborates with others.
- Communicates and collaborates with other committees and the board of directors to accomplish association goals.
- Provides monthly updates to the board of directors.