One common trait of colleges and universities with great Web properties is the leadership skills of the person responsible for directing Web operations. To help develop the leadership skills of our members, HighEdWeb is pleased to announce the inaugural Leadership Academy that will run in conjunction with the 2012 HighEdWeb Annual Conference in Milwaukee, WI this October 7-10. The goal of this Academy is to develop Web leaders within higher education with an intensive program that offers interactive learning experiences in a small group setting.
What differentiates this Leadership Academy from other organizations with leadership programs is a specific focus on the job of a Web director/manager that touches all facets of the job. This Academy will offer a holistic view of what goes into being a Web leader. Participants in this academy will learn:
- What is leadership, the importance of leadership for Web professionals, and how to develop leadership skills.
- How to communicate effectively with campus administrators and stakeholders.
- How to articulate the value of the Web to obtain the appropriate staff and resources.
- An understanding of higher education organization and administration, and the implications for the Web.
- Resource management, project prioritization, and budget.
- How to manage people, including the ideal composition of a Web team, hiring practices, evaluating performance, conflict resolution and mediation.
- How to implement a Web governance structure including a Web governance framework, a comprehensive Web strategy, development of policies and standards, and development of an effective evaluation process.
The Leadership Academy is designed for anyone looking to develop or enhance their leadership skills. It will include two sessions, both of which will be held in the Hilton Milwaukee Downtown. The first session will be on Sunday, October 7, 2012 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the second session will be on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The faculty and curriculum are still under development and will be announced this summer.
Registration for the leadership academy is now open. For more information about the Leadership Academy including a link to register, please visit leadership.highedweb.org. Be advised that there are only 24 seats available so register early.
Questions? Contact us: email@example.com.